Friday, April 05, 2013

Baked Mac n Cheese

Wow...it's been almost a year since I posted on my blog! But I wanted to share this recipe with someone and I thought if I'm going to type it out, I might as well make it accessible for more people. :)  This recipe is adapted from a Company's Coming cookbook.

2 c whole wheat macaroni

1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped mushrooms (optional)
1/3 c butter

3tbsp flour (if using mushrooms, add another tbsp)
2 1/4 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
pinch pepper
1/2 tsp paprika

2c old/sharp cheddar cheese (medium is fine too)

1/2c dry bread crumbs
2tbsp melter butter

Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.

Saute onion, mushroom, and butter until soft. Sprinkle flour over and stir well. Slowly add milk and stir often until it thickens. Add salt, pepper, paprika, and cheese. Stir to melt the cheese and then add macaroni. Dump into a caserole dish.

Mix the breadcrumbs and melted butter and sprinkle on top of macaroni.

Bake uncovered for 30 min (350 degrees)

I've tried a few variations of this - here are some ideas:
-add chopped (or baby) shrimp, or cooked chicken, or bacon!
-add spinach (I tried bok choy once...that didnt work so good LOL)
-add different cheese...I think some feta would be nice.

Let me know if you try it!! I often make a half recipe and eat it myself for supper, with enough left over for lunch the next day. Mmmmm....

No comments: