Saturday, July 30, 2011

I have a green thumb

But it's not what you think. I have been shelling peas ... from my mom's garden. Taryn and I went to pick this afternoon ... I was going to do peas while she did raspberries. Well, she lasted about 5 minutes and I am sure ate just as many as she got in the pail, but she tried. Then she raided grandpa's cherry trees (shh...dont tell LOL), stole a carrot (which was promtly washed and eaten) and played with the cat. I collected more raspberries later (along with some swiss chard, an onion, a couple carrots, and a pail of saskatoons - thanks mom!)

I was sitting on my deck tonight shelling the peas (a good 5 gallon pail full), enjoying the peace and quiet and summer breeze, and memories of doing the same thing when I was a kid came flooding back. Mom would usually have the peas picked before we were even out of bed, and after breakfast we would each get a bowl and fill it up with pea pods and we would all sit on the deck in a circle around a big pail where the pods would get chucked in. There was usually a dog hanging around waiting for runaways or bad aim. I dont remember which dog liked the peas and which ate the shells. Pretty sure Copper (our golden retreiver) ate both. LOL I remember sometimes we would toss some to the dog just to see how fast it would jump. After a while we would get reprimanded, most likely so the dog didnt get sick.

At least that is how I remember it. I dont remember my wrists cramping up like they did tonight though. LOL

I hope my kids get to sit around on Grandma's deck with her and shell peas someday too.

No comments: